Monday, October 06, 2008

Our new schedule

Things have been going really well lately. We've finally gotten the babies on some semblance of a schedule. They get up at 7 (or somewhere around there.) and I've learned that no matter who wakes up first I have to wake the other up at this time. If I don't the whole schedule gets thrown off. Sometimes Ben gets up before the babies and sometimes he gets up while I'm nursing. If I'm nursing the babies then Ben will crawl up next to me and watch TV until I'm done.

 They are up for roughly two hours and then they go down for a nap. Naps are still unpredictible. Sometimes they go down for 30 minutes and sometimes 2 hours. There's no rhyme or reason to how long they will sleep at nap times. (I don't wake the second one when the first wakes up)

After they wake up I feed them and change them then they "play" for about two hours. "Play" consists of the swing, the exersaucer, or a mat on the floor. We usually rotate through all of these at least once.

Then they go down for a second nap around noon. Again it could be 30 minutes or it could be 2 hours. I don't wake the second up this time either. It does make the "schedule" off sometimes but that's ok.

We do another round of eating, changing, playing and if it's before 4:30 I let them go down for a third nap. If it's after 4:30 then they don't get the third one. At about 5:30 or 6:00 we go up to Grandma and Branka's house to kill time waiting for bedtime. We usually play out side (by play this time I mean sit in a chair and watch Ben run wild. Sometimes I will hand the babies off to Grandma and Branka and jump on the trampoline with Ben)

At 7:00 we come back home and get ready for bed. Every other night they get a bath. Then I nurse them and lay them in bed whether or not they are sleeping. Sometimes it takes a little while for them to fall asleep and sometimes they just go right to bed.

Ben gets to stay up until 8:00 and then he goes down too. Tonight I had all three babies in bed asleep by 8:10!!

I've started something new. During the first nap, I do preschool with Ben. On Friday I created a lesson plan for the week. This week we are practicing the letter A and learning about Bats. I've found some awesome worksheets on the Internet*. We do a letter worksheet every day and then do either a worksheet or a craft on whatever the theme is. Tomorrow we are making bats out of egg cartons. We also made cookies today during the second nap. We made Cake Mix cookies. (so easy!! 1 box of cake mix, 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, 2 eggs. Mix and bake at 350 for 11 minutes) He loves to make cookies.

It seems to working really well. Fingers crossed it's getting a little easier.

*Internet Websites that are awesome for preschool worksheets*
Enchanted Learning (This is a members only site but I believe there is a free side)
Coloring Pages
The Toy Maker

I'll post more as I come across them. If you have any great websites please feel free to leave them in the comments and I will add them here.

2 comments:

Abby said...

Oh yay! How nice to have some semblance of a schedule. Good for you!! And that's no small thing with twins & a toddler. You're awesome Mel!

Here're a few preschool sites I used TONS when I did preschool with Autumn:
http://www.first-school.ws/
http://www.alphabet-soup.net/

Anonymous said...

Okay-seriously you are inspiring! I am a better mom because of the ideas you give me! Congrats on the schedule thing, that is amazing with twins especially! Thanks for being YOU!...don't change a thing! We love ya!