Saturday, August 02, 2008

Wicked

We went to Wicked today. This is the second time I've seen it and the first time Jim has. It gets better every time. The minute Elphaba walks out on stage I get chills.
The day started out well. Will and Ellie only woke up once then they got up at 7:00 am so I had a great night. Ben didn't wake up until 8:30 so Jim got to sleep in as well. Jim made pancakes for breakfast which was nice. I got the babies fed and dressed then back to sleep. I got to take a nice leisurely shower where I didn't even get interrupted once and I even got to shave my legs! It was amazing. I was ready to go at 10:00. While I got Ben dressed and everything ready Jim took a shower.

We dropped all the kids off at my parents house at 11:00 and we were on our way! (Wicked started at 2:00 so we wanted to give ourselves plenty of time to get there. I paid for parking online before we left so we didn't have to waste time doing that. The GPS said we should get there by 12:30 so we figured we had time to stop for lunch. There is a Sonic in Anaheim and we haven't had Sonic in three years so we decided to stop there. Apparently everyone in Anaheim had the same idea. It took at least 20 minutes to get our food. Every parking spot was full. We finally got our food and were on our way at 12:40. Still plenty of time to get there and get settled in our seats. GPS said we should be there at 1:30. We get into LA and the traffic STOPPED. What should have taken 10-20 minutes took 40. The GPS now said we should arrive at 1:55. The Theater has a VERY strict late policy. If you arrive after the show starts you have to wait until after the fourth song before they will let you in. (Why the fourth song? I have no idea.) During this time I had to pump (which is so awkward even with a hooter hider)


So we finally get to the parking lot (thankfully I already paid it so we just drove right in) After we were behind three different cars who didn't have any idea how to drive or park, we finally parked and Jim threw the keys to the parking attendant (it wasn't valet but they took your keys so they could repark your car - you just parked in a line and they reparked it) We get out of the parking lot and run across the street. (of course I had decided to wear heels so I had to take them off and run across the street barefoot.) We get back on the side walk (still running) and onto the Hollywood Walk of Fame (mind you it's now just about 2:00 in the afternoon in LA. The Walk of Fame is bronze star-plaques, embedded in pink & charcoal terrazzo squares and I am barefoot. Needless to say I burned my feet) I had to stop and put my shoes back on because my feet hurt so bad. In my haste to put my shoes on I broke one of the three straps on them. We continue running inside and give the man our tickets just as the lights blinked signaling 3 minutes to showtime. As we are walking down the isle to our seat Jim steps on my shoe and another of the straps break. But we got to our seats and had our cell phones turned to silent before the show started.

*Public Service Announcements*
If you are going to go see Wicked - Don't take your 5 year old. They are not old enough for it. They will just be scared and cry. They will not want to see "the green witch" You will wind up having to take them out, missing most of the show and wasting $200.

Also if you are a couple of very bitchy women who refuse to stand up when the two little girls and their mom return to their seats late after the intermission (because they were in the bathroom and the lines were long) either don't get an aisle seat or don't complain when they bump into you. It's not like they purposely returned late just to piss you off. Everyone else in the surrounding rows didn't need to hear you complain and be rude about it.

Overall it was wonderful. I could go see it a million more times and never get bored with it. Jim even enjoyed it and he hates musicals. I hope they make a movie out of it like they did with Chicago. I'm so sad it is leaving LA. What an awesome birthday present. Jim sure does know the way to my heart.

No comments: