Thursday, July 17, 2008

Momma called the Doctor and the Doctor said.

Will has reflux. I thought he did in the beginning because he would spit up SO much. But the doctor said he didn't want to medicate  him unnecessarily so he wanted to wait to see if it got worse. It did. He doesn't spit up as much but he is obviously in a lot of pain. The doctor put him on Zantac. He takes .7 ml twice a day. I have to cut out eggs, citrus, nuts and avoid excess dairy. I can still have dairy just not alot of it.

He was great at the appointment. My mom took Ben and Ellie so I could just focus on Will. He screamed in the morning then slept on the way to the doctors office. He slept almost the whole time we were in the waiting room. Then the nurse called us back into the room. She gushed over him (we always get the same nurse. Which is nice because she knows them now.) She couldn't believe how big he's gotten. She weighed him 11lbs 14oz!!! He's now in the 10-25% (up from the >5%) He smiled and cooed at her the whole time. I kept thinking "great if he acts like this for the doctor too he'll never believe me." But he didn't fail me - He started screaming the minute the nurse walked out of the room. The doctor (and two medical students) came in and checked him over. They all agreed it was reflux. He gave me the prescription and told us if he got worse to go to urgent care but if not then to update him on Monday. Will slept the whole time I was waiting for the prescription and the whole car ride home. It was wonderful.

I gave him his first dose at 11:30 Then he ate (for 16 minutes!) and fell asleep at 11:44. He slept until 12:48. He screamed for a half hour then ate and fell back asleep. Overall he's only screamed for about an hour and a hlaf today as opposed to all day. He's still my grumpy little guy but he's no where near the demon spawn he's been the past couple of days. I'm just praying this works and he just continues to get better.

Both the babies are asleep right now. I was able to fold 3 loads of laundry and run two more. I unloaded and loaded the dishwasher. I took the trash out and cleaned the living room. I'm feeling so much better.

I ♥ ZANTAC

4 comments:

Abby said...

Oh wonderful! Here's to things just getting better and better!

Chelsea said...

reflux stinks. but at least you have a name for the problem now and more importantly, a first step towards the solution. jack has been on prevacid for a few months. his dr said we'll likely take him off of it at his 6-month appointment, but idk if i'm ready for that. idk if jack is ready, either.

Tami said...

Mel, I'm glad they found out what it could be. My 8 year old had it his WHOLE life until he was 6 1/2. I told the dr. when he was a baby that something was wrong, but they ignored it. For years he was miserable and if effected his behavior. Finally got it diagnosed just over a year ago and after a few rounds of medicine he is basically all better. He doesn't even take the medicine anymore. Once and awhile it bothers him, but not much. WOW. What a difference it made. Good luck!

Amy said...

Mel, I love Zantac too! Tell Will I feel his pain. I'm a much happier person when I take my Zantac too! AN